Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Ridiculous

Just came back from dinner from my granny's place. My aunt cooked up a simple dinner specially for me cause I said I'm going over.

During dinner, the thriller for Harry Potter came on TV. My aunt saw and suggested for us to watch it together. I thought it was a good idea so I turned to my cousin on my left and said, 'we go together ok?' which she readily agreed. Then I looked at her sister and asked, "Mei mei, we go watch together k?" and she said, "I can't." I asked her why. She answered, "Cause my teacher say got witch-craft."

That is so so so so MISLEADING!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS HER TEACHER THINKING?

7 yr olds cannot watch Harry Potter because it has witch-craft in it? What kinda world is tht old hag living in? How can she say things like that to my little cousin who is still growing up? I am not a fan of Harry Potter, but that is such a unreasonable statement! Its not as if its a movie with tons of gore, violence and blood shed. It is merely a fiction story.

When I was 7, my mother asked me to listen to my teacher and I believe most parents do. That is why, children listen to their teachers. They look up to them. And at their age, they probably think that whatever the teacher said is right. Teachers must be responsible to what they say. In fact everyone should be responsible of whatever that sprung outta their mouths.

I believe movies can create an impact in children's life. It will impact their creativity and imagination. With proper guidance, they get to be exposed to more things. Cultures, language, fashion etc. There's definitely influences in movies, subconsciously. But to tell young children who look up to you not to watch a movie, because it has certain factors in it. Its restricting and over-protecting. If they don't understand, you can explain to them. Don't stop them from knowing.

Suddenly I see Harry Potter casting that spell on her, "RIDICULOUS!"

No comments: