Do you believe in karma? Oh well, my karma has finally caught up with me. I enjoy working in my company, because I can pretty much do things at MY own pace, but not anymore. Time is no longer on my side, Stress is though. Damn, I forgot how it feels like and I hate to feel like that now.
I've been working shit loads of OTs recently, I can't even go online to talk to my precious friends and worst of all I can't finish my work! There's always tomorrow you say? Nope, not this time. No extention. The deadline is tonight and its it.
We took in a intern recently, she's a sweet, soft-speaking girl who's not shy to ask questions. And as most of you already know, her questions are driving me crazy. Not because they're stupid or senseless, but more of I dunnoe how to explain to her. I mean small lil things like the size of the picture, the colours, when they don't gel, they just don't. I can tell her what to change, but I can't really explain to her why I want it changed. And when she ask me why certain things are done in a certain way, I just don't have the patience to explain it to her.
Initially, I feel really bad for neglecting her, especially the first day she came to work. I totally forgot her presence and went on to do my work without checking on her. And she on the other hand, didn't ask me a single question. My wrong, its her first day and she is shy, so I should've checked on her. In the end, she spend the entire day struggling in front of the computer, opening and closing files, zooming in and out of the files I opened for her.
So I told myself, I have to change. I must check on her and I even assure her that if she has any questions, she should come to me. The next 2 days, I spend most of my time teaching her what to do, going through the files, answering her questions and telling her things as simple as organising her files.
When I finally got down to doing my own work, I'm already behind schedule, it's not her fault, she's here to learn, but I would say, she came at the wrong time. Everytime I pass a job to her, I have to sort out the files, copy to her, go through the file with her then she can start doing. And because of me rushing to finish my other projects, I had to leave her alone, only to find out her working files are all in a mess, but it's not her fault because she has never done them before.
And since I don't have the time to teach her and tell her where her files went wrong, I spend most of my time cleaning up her files so that we can meet the deadlines. At some point, I started to feel like redoing everything she did. It would've been faster if I had done everything myself from the beginning.
I've also learn quite some stuff ever since she got here. She indirectly sabo me right on her second day. She came on time, and I was a lil late, when I say lil, I really mean as little as 15 mins. (You know I can be much much much later then that.) She told my boss that there's no point for her to come early because she don't have the keys. I know she didn't mean it la, so anyway, I made it a point to come to work early, so that she won't have to wait outside again.
Yesterday, she had runny nose, so I told her to go home n rest. She keep saying she no need and by late evening, my nose started to feel weird. And she jokingly said, "oh no, I think I pass my virus to you." I should've been more straight-forward ah, just tell her to go home so that she won't spread her virus to me.
But I guess it's good that she's here also. In a way, she's here to learn about the industry, and for me, it's a good learning process also. I'm learning how to manage my time as well as hers, and I'm learning to control my emotions. It's been dunnoe how long since I last had a designer colleague, and I quite enjoy her company now. Everytime I look at her work now, I will notice alot of nitty gritty details, as well as the overall layout, then when I look at my own work again, I'll see the small things I never noticed before.
She's only going to be here for 1 month. By the time, she learnt enough, it's probably time for her to go back to school, but I guess it can't be helped. Now I know, It's not easy to be someone's senior at all, but I don't blame her la, I probably was like that in the past too.
Oh and the funny thing is, during the first few days she was here, I kept thinking about Dila, my first senior designer who used to look after me. She's always patient and willing to teach (very unlike me), and I was wondering what she thought of me then. Then on Friday, when I was out having dinner with my sisters, I met Dila! Then I met her again on Sunday, when I was walking around TPY central with Yao. Weird coincidence huh? Never see her for dunnoe how many years, suddenly I see her again.
I so believe in karma and I also think that everything in this world is interlinked. (DUH!)
I think this is the longest word only entry I have ever written. This is what happens when I'm deprieved of MSN. he he he
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment