Friday, November 17, 2006

Small small actions, big big echoes!

Actually, not tht big la, but in the long run when we're not ard anymore, our next generation will pay the price of the mess we left behind. So maybe IT IS time to do something, before its too late.

At first I also abit skeptical, but after I went to the website (Thanks to hazzie), I realise, thoes are really simple actions eh (not as complicated as I thought it'll be). Just slight adjustments in our daily lives and we can make a difference. Suddenly I feel so important. The future of our Earth is in our hands! wahahhahahahaha!

Some of the few things we can do are:

Use Recycled Paper
Make sure your printer paper is 100% post consumer recycled paper. Save 5 lbs. of carbon dioxide per ream of paper.

Take Shorter Showers (I can gladly do tht!)
Showers account for 2/3 of all water heating costs. Save 350 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $99 per year.

Buy Minimally Packaged Goods
Less packaging could reduce your garbage by about 10%. Save 1,200 pounds of carbon dioxide and $1,000 per year.

Buy a Hybrid Car
The average driver could save 16,000 lbs. of CO2 and $3,750 per year driving a hybrid.
(Hybrid? Reminds me of this episode in southpark. hahaa quite funny ah, but nothing to do with this point. Just for laughs, see it at youtube.)

Reduce Garbage
Buy products with less packaging and recycle paper, plastic and glass. Save 1,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year.

Unplug Un-Used Electronics
Even when electronic devices are turned off, they use energy. Save over 1,000 lbs of carbon dioxide and $256 per year.

Air Dry Your Clothes
Line-dry your clothes in the spring and summer instead of using the dryer. Save 700 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $75 per year.

Switch to a Tankless Water Heater
Your water will be heated as you use it rather than keeping a tank of hot water. Save 300 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $390 per year.

Bring Cloth Bags to the Market (Ber ber say before ah, her entry on Oct 13)
Using your own cloth bag instead of plastic or paper bags reduces waste and requires no additional energy.

See the complete list of the actions we can take at stopglobalwarming.org.

Oh and you know how small the world is? I was surfing around Bounce back to life and happen to read the comments on one of the entry. Out of pure boredom and curiousity, I started to click on certain profiles just to take a look and I found Kai. A friend who use to work in Ritz Carlton and tru his blog I found Michelle, another colleague! Hah! See how small the world is?!

No comments: