Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vaccine for Cervical Cancer

World's first cervical cancer vaccine approved for use in S'pore
By Wong Mun Wai/Yvonne Yong, Channel NewsAsia
Posted: 14 December 2006 1917 hrs


SINGAPORE: The world's first cervical cancer vaccine has been approved for use in Singapore.

Clinical trials have shown that the vaccine prevents the most common types of cervical cancer and is almost completely effective against most common genital warts.

The vaccine, called Gardasil, has so far been approved for use on girls and women aged between 9 and 26 years.

"I chose to be vaccinated because I think it's not everyday that help is so readily available to you for such a preventable cancer, so I think if help is available you should step forward and be proactive about taking care of your health," says 20-year-old Nicole Van Cuylenburg, who is the first person to have the vaccination in Singapore.

"If you compare the cost of the vaccination to the cost of actual cancer treatments, it pales in comparison, and I don't think you can put a price tag on your own life," she says.

Although Nicole is not paying for the treatment, she says she would be happy to pay the full amount of between S$600 and S$700 for the vaccination.
Read the full article at Channel News Asia. $700 for peace of mind and a healthy body? Quite ex but I think it's worth it. Ladies, what are you waiting for?! If you're between 9-26 yr old then go do it!

No comments: